Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Portobello Mushroom Lasagna with Spinach and Feta

I don't think I have ever made the same lasagna twice; I figure the day I say I have one lasagna recipe in my repertoire is the day I stop having fun in the kitchen. Lasagnas are so varied, so versatile, so "kitchen sink".

I am loving portabello mushrooms lately (they have a meaty texture so, for a vegetarian, they are an easy way to "beef up" a dish) so last week I went looking for a lasagna recipe using them. I found this lasagna recipe with spinach (mmm ... iron!) and feta cheese where portabellos actually make up a layer of the recipe.

I actually think this recipe would be really good with some ricotta cheese added to the cheese & egg mixture so I might just try that next time.

Admittedly, I was pretty pressed for time the evening I made this so I modified the original recipe to use prepared pasta sauce. I know, it's borderline blasphemy, but this is my busy time of year ... so sue me. I used Classico Sundried Tomato sauce.




INGREDIENTS


9-10 lasagna noodles, uncooked

1-1 1/2 24-oz jars of pasta sauce of your choice (I used 1 1/2 jars but I seem to like my lasagna a little saucier than recipes call for)

2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded

1 c. feta cheese, crumbled (more, if desired)

1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1 egg, slightly beaten

4 portabello mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.

2. Cook the lasagna noodles until soft.

3. Meanwhile, stir together 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, spinach, and the egg in a medium bowl.

4. Now assemble the lasagna: Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the dish, then 3 pieces of lasagna noodles, 1/2 of cheese mixture, 1/2 of sliced mushrooms, then another 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat layers. To finish, top with remaining pasta, the balance of the sauce, and the remaining mozzarella.

5. Cover with foil; bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5-7 minutes longer or until the cheese melts and is slightly browned.

No comments: