Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread (Breadmaker)

We got a breadmaker for Christmas and, ever since, I have been trying different bread recipes. I don't think we've bought a loaf of bread since Christmas. I started with the book that came with the maker and they seemed to come out okay... or so I thought.

I decided to look online for recipes and found a couple that knock the others out of the running.

We are trying to eat healthy so I have been focusing on just whole wheat recipes. This particular one is really just a plain whole wheat bread but with oatmeal in it. I modified the recipe to include vital wheat gluten which, I have read, makes whole wheat bread rise better. I couldn't be happier with this recipe.


INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 c. warm water (70-80 degrees F)
2 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
2 tbsp honey
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp skim milk powder
1 1/2 c. bread flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. vital wheat gluten
1/3 c. quick-cooking oats
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast


DIRECTIONS


Place all ingredients in the bread machine pan, in the order suggested by the manufacturer (these are in the order I add them).

Select loaf size and crust color. This recipe makes a 1 lb. loaf and I usually use the light crust.



By the way, if you wondered what bread I used to make the portobello panini, this is it.

No comments: